Tuesday, July 29, 2014

What Does it Take...?


This is just a small blog, I know. 
It doesn't make any money. 
I don't sell anything or my soul to the highest bidder. 
I don't write as often as I should. 
I don't take pictures like I should to share with y'all.

But for some reason I am averaging 70-80 visitors to the site per day. That's cool, I like that. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy... but still.

What does it take to get my audience involved? How do I get you guys to comment, ask questions or make suggestions? Are you coming here accidentally? Did you click just to see what the crazy German-Cajun is ranting about or showing off today? These are all very serious questions I am asking you and I do sincerely hope to get an answer. 

I truly want to share the culture of Louisiana Trades with you all I want you to learn about the cool details and odd features of our furnishings and structures. I want to show you some of the experiences and journeys I have taken down the rabbet hole of researching and emulating the construction of these pieces with the very tools those original craftsmen used.  

So the real question now, is what do y'all want? What do you want to see more of and less of? What can I do to make this site more interesting to you personally? More pictures / less words? More work in progress? More artifacts and historic pieces? What can I do to engage you? I want you to learn about what I'm passionate about, this is the reason I do this for free. How can I better do this and teach you more?



Please do help me out. I want honest critiques and suggestions on what it will take for this blog to be truly interesting to YOU. 

ps. the above pictures are a couple of Creole Cypress pieces in our collection.




© Jean Becnel, 2014. 
The material found herein is the sole intellectual property of it's author(s). 
Reproduction of this information is strictly forbidden without the written permission of it's author(s)

8 comments:

  1. Jean, thanks for the blog post. I have tons of questions and since you opened Pandora's box, I will fire some your way. What was the primary wood used in making creole furniture. I imagine cypress would make the list, was pecan or persimmon also used? What about traditional hardwoods, cherry, oak, maple, etc? Do you see a lot of furniture made with hardwood? Additionally, could you post more pics of the furniture construction? Specific questions, regarding what jointery was used to make the carcass (full blind dovetails, half blind, etc?) Was nails or flat head screws used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thomas, I replied to your questions with a new post here: http://www.creoleproject.com/2014/07/the-primary-lumbers-of-louisiana.html

      Regards,

      Delete
  2. I can tell you that I have had an easier time keeping tabs on your blog since it got picked up on Norsewoodsmith.com's news aggregator. Personally right now I'm trying to get a feel for different styles of furniture and how the joinery works and so on. Not sure what your broader audience may be interested in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a second question regarding joinery. I will put together a new post on the joinery of Louisiana Furnishings. Thanks for your input.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jean- can you elaborate on the characteristics of Creole furniture and maybe compare/contrast them with other styles? And on a side note- What's the status of the woodworking classes at the rural life museum?
    -Peter Travis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Travis, long time no speak.

      That is an excellent suggestion for a series of posts. I will begin putting information together for it although I will try not to rewrite the book - Furnishing Louisiana. On the same token I would highly suggest picking up a copy even if only from a library as it is the fruition of 10 years of work by Dr. Jack Holden and several other authorities on Louisiana Furnishings. Dr Holden was collecting and studying these pieces before I was born.

      I will nonetheless not disappoint and begin working on the series.

      As for classes, I actually begin building benches next week! A lot has transpired since last we talked. I have finally managed to shut down my cabinet shop and am now working a considerable number of hrs at the museum doing conservation work on the structures that are so badly in need. If you see the events page here there is a meeting of a local woodworking club at the museum in Sept at which I will be lecturing. It is free and open to the public if you care to attend.

      Regards,
      Jean N Becnel

      Delete