Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween - Pumpkin Carving Fun

Halloween, 2013 is here! You heard it, at a minimum of, a dozen times already but I'll remind you again anyway - be sure to keep the little ones safe as they go out in hopes of finding more treats than tricks.

On a related note, my friend and talented wood carver, Steve French, shared a picture of the Jack-O-Lantern he carved for this year. It is too cool not to share it!



I asked Steve for a little detail on how he goes about the carving these short lived sculptures and here is what he had to say:

The pumpkins were all carved with the sheep's foot blade of my Old Timer pocket knife. Very little layout - if any - happens before hand. I just come up with a general idea then start cutting. 

Most fancy pumpkin carvings are best done with other tools, such as gouges and variously shaped scrapers, so using only a straight blade creates a challenge (and, unfortunately, limits what I can do). I keep hoping that one day I'll get good at it!

You hope you get good at it? Man, I say you are there! Great work!

Of course, I had to ask him for more pictures too, so here are a few of his past pumpkin carving endeavors, enjoy!






And lastly, The Mad Pumpkin Carver Himself, Steve French


If you like the pumpkins as much as I do, feel free to leave a comment for Steve below - I'll be sure he see's it.


 
© Jean Becnel, 2013. 
The material found herein is the sole intellectual property of it's author(s). 
Reproduction of this information is strictly forbidden without the written permission of it's author(s)



1 comment:

  1. Nice work, Steve! Jean is right, you're already good at it!

    ReplyDelete